Friday, September 4, 2009

Welcome!

Thank you. I’m delighted that you have taken time out of your busy day to visit the Progressive Christianity & the Law Blog. I’ve started this blog as a way to explore the intersection of two important aspects of my life--Christianity and the American legal system.

I am a Christian. My faith informs how I view the world. Because I see the face of God in my sisters and brothers, I believe in the inherent, unalienable dignity and sanctity of all human beings. Related, I also believe in the unique preciousness of the planet our Creator gave us to enable human life. Ideally, my faith guides me as I conduct myself in various contexts. But I humbly acknowledge that I often fall short of that ideal. In a spiritual sense, it is a comfort to know that each of us is a work in progress.

I am also a lawyer. As is true for most adults, my work consumes most of my waking hours. A tremendous amount of my life is spent doing legal work of one type or another. I am very proud of the legal profession. In my experience, lawyers are generally a very intelligent, hard-working, and compassionate slice of society. Nonetheless, I am quite cognizant that the profession suffers from a dearth of positive PR and is much maligned in many quarters. My own belief is that situation is largely due to the high visibility of a few extremely unflattering examples, and a lack of familiarity with the rank and file.

The Progressive Christianity & the Law Blog is an effort to explore the influence of religious faith on lawyering and the law. Specifically, I am interested in the role that Christianity has on those who practice law. I want to explore the influence of religion on law from both a descriptive and a normative perspective. It is my fervent hope that this blog will be thought-provoking and engaging to readers who work in any segment of the legal profession (e.g., paralegals, practicing lawyers, legal secretaries, law school faculty and administrators, law clerks, law students, etc.). However, because the legal system touches everyone’s life either directly or indirectly regardless of their occupation, I would also aspire that this blog would even pique the interest of those whose work is not in any way affiliated with the legal profession.

Again, welcome!

Matthew 7:12 (New International Version)
“So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.”

Philippians 1:6 (New Living Translation)
“And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns.”