Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Hunger

Not long ago, as I was navigating rush hour traffic on my way home, I was listening to NPR’s “All Things Considered” to catch up on the day’s events. I was really moved by one story in the broadcast. It was about an artist’s exploration of the experience of hunger.

In great depth, the artist interviewed people who had experienced hunger first hand. The interviewees described in heart-breaking detail what the experience is like. For most of us, who have never known real hunger, we don’t know how physically and emotionally torturous the experience is.

You can listen to the broadcast at the link below. As I listened to it in my car when it was originally aired, I found myself moved to tears. Many of us may be supportive of anti-hunger efforts, but may not have a real sense of what it is like to be food insecure and not have food to feed yourself or your family. The broadcast was heart-breakingly insightful.


http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=125299636





Matthew 25:35 (New International Version)

For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in.

No comments:

Post a Comment